Thursday, October 27, 2011

Diwali...Then and Now...


Needless to say,Diwali is one of the biggest festivals in India, being celebrated differently for different reasons in different parts of the country where every person finds a reason to rejoice, reason to do business, reason to have sweets, reason to meet relatives, reason to relax, reason to wish, reason to shop....its diwali time!


First I hated Diwali this time, for it fell on a Wednesday!! Then I liked when my one week vacation got approved.However the rains at this time has been interrupting the schedules intermittently. Even now had plans to go out...but started blogging as it is raining now outside....so was just thinking what to blog and then i thought i could scribble about my previous Diwali celebrations and how I celebrated this time! Wow...lots of changes!!! 



It was during schooling, the excitement was at its peak. It seemed like I longed for this occassion every year. The festive mood starts well in advance where the count down begins as early as atleast by a month! I used to finish off the home work once I reach home and then bug amma for 15 Rs or so to get the 'seeni vedi' from the petty shop nearby and then spend the rest of the evening bursting one by one. In the mean time I would have gathered few of my street mates. Diwali also indicates new clothes for me. It was only during this time I get four to five sets of new dresses and keep it for all the occassions till next diwali. On the Diwali day, I get up early rather forced to get up. Then have an oil bath, put on the new clothes and make sure that I burst the 'busvaanam' and 'sangu chakram' before any of my neighbourhood does.  I used to go to my grandma's house and other relatives...primarily to fill my pockets with 'Diwali kaasu' and seeking their blessings was secondary though!! Well all i knew that time is puthu dressu, vedi, diwali kaasu! Funny aint it ?

The first transformation came during the college days. The focus gradually shifted from crackers to movies. I used to watch a couple of movies during diwali holidays. It was during college, I had this habit of watching movies during the release weekend it self and diwali was no exception. I used to come home the day before diwali. It is one kind of excitement on Diwali eve, when I used to gather some local friends and roam around the west masi street and netaji road, do some petite shopping..probably belt or socks or t shirts and swim through the crowd to reach Sunnambukaara street to bargain some local brand footwears. Man you have to be on these roads on Diwali eve to witness the crowd. Probably I did not know much about Ranganathan Street or Commercial Street then!


Well, the enthusiasm today might even not be near, to what I did then. The way I see diwali today has changed a lot. Diwali seems to be a sign of relief after long working hours in office. So what do I do during diwali! After failing through irctc.co.in which never opens during peak times and managing a costly ticket from ksrtc for what they claim as SPL, which is only little better than the BMTC buses, we reach home tired. Then you unpack the sweets you got the previous night after leaving office and before catching the bus.


New Clothes - If I thought new dresses are worn on Diwali and other festival occassions, then I have to take any day in a month as diwali. Almost every weekend is a shopping weekend! So now the zeal of wearing new clothes has gone. After all its another day!  Blame the IT-Lazy-Bachelor culture. I do make a visit to temple and grandma house. However, I still keep getting the diwali kaasu, but then it has become secondary now. :) Then come home, eat lots of sweets, scan through the tv channels, take a nap!



Crackers - Oh I dont even think about it these days...just go to the terrace or outside for some time....watch out the fireworks clearing the dark sky..have a sigh of joy and relaxation..come down...have some bajjis that mom prepared..watch out for one of the block buster movie that is aired on the satellite channels....greet and exchange wishes with friends and relatives..and that is diwali as of today!

Well one may think, what is in a celebration! However, sitting back and rewinding a few years makes one feel nostalgic! Doesnt it ?

Happy Diwali!!!

5 comments:

Aruna said...

Very good post :) made me all nostalgic !!!

Gayathri said...

nice to read... I also have the feel what festival, what celebration?. Even then I end up in new dress, matching accesories, tv, sweets, pooja which make me excited and happy end of day.
I do remember your mom's preparation, 7 cups :) you gave post diwali holidays...

Kishore said...

Thanks for dropping by..Aruna and Gayathri

me said...

Diwali for me was the end of Half Yearly exams in school! Also the start of many more festivals to come, read Christmas, New Year and Pongal. So many holidays and so much fun! Cha, chancey illai. Being one of the few christian families in the area, all our neighbours will bring us murruku, sweets, dry fruits and lots more goodies. Of course, another highlight of Diwali should be the coarse voiced guy screaming on Sun TV 'Indhiya Tholaikaachiyil Mudhal Muraiyaaga...' hahaha
Nice post Kishore.

Kishore said...

Thanks for dropping by Hepsiba!!! And this Indhiya Tholaikaachigal... is still the same voice... ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...