Friday, July 24, 2009

The Home stay experience in Coorg!

Coorg as already known, is famous for Home stays. This is an idea where in people stay in homes and the house owners provide food and all the other facilities. Its like a feeling that we have a holiday house somewhere in a remote place. This is the continuation of “The Road Not Taken – An exciting journey to Coorg!” I thought I should describe my experience of one such home stay in this space.
July 18th Saturday 05:45 am, the sky was dull and grey. It was still raining. We reached the Beta Cad Estate after seeing the sign board. The road was very narrow. I could smell the aroma of Coffee all over. In a short distance, I could see a house with red tiles on the roof. Some 50 meters aside was the in-charge’s house. The place was in the middle of the coffee estate. I hope you could just imagine the scene. I could see tall trees and coffee plantations all over.

After a while, came in the in-charge with his umbrella on. He showed us inside the home. I don’t have words to describe the home. It’s simple, old and neat. It had a living room, two bedrooms, one kitchen and a verandah. There was no power since 3 days. The cottage had a UPS backup, so that we remain uninterrupted with the power cuts. The living room had a television. Its walls were not left empty, but filled with portraits and paintings. One part of the space was occupied by the dining table, with plates neatly arranged. An olden styled cupboard was there nearby, which had a provision to keep the plates, cups & saucers, spoons etc. On the other side was a sofa and besides was a book shelve, which had some informative books about Coorg and its culture. I didn’t have time to read it though! Each bedroom had an attached bathroom. One of them was a master bedroom. Both of them had a night lamp and an almirah to keep the clothes. The beds were all designed in olden style. It was of wood. The floors were all covered with big carpets. It was very soothing for the chill weather. One of the bathrooms had this manual heater, where in from the back side of the house, they heat the water in a vessel with woods and the tap in the bath room is connected to the vessel. The kitchen was filled with all the utensils that we require. It had a gas stove, a microwave oven, a mixer and a mini fridge. Hope I didn’t miss anything. I was just enjoying the facilities they have provided. It’s a perfect place for a family who plans for a weekend break.

We were all very tired as we didn’t sleep well during the travel. No sooner we laid on the bed, we all slept. We all then got up by 7.45 am or later. Coffee and break fast was ready by then. I should say I am more or less addicted to Coffee/tea, and especially the coffee they gave, I liked it very much. No sugar more, no less. It was no strong, no light. It was just what I wanted. I went to the verandah, sat on a chair with my coffee and started to admire the cool weather and the natural scene that surrounded the lonely house. After that, I had bath in the hot water. Wow bathing in the hot water, amidst the cold rainy morning….mmm…no words… Do you think, this is a routine work, we normally do? No, No…that too in the weekends, the probability is very less, you see.

The breakfast was ready then. They had prepared Coorg style Idlis, Sambhar and chutney. We were so hungry that, we didn’t even comment on the taste, though it tasted good. The Idli was a little different. They had added grinded cocunut to it. In fact, there had been a shortage in Idlis. People who came last to eat, had to manage with only 2 or 3 idlis. Fortunately, I was the first to eat! He! He!



Our plan that day was to cover Thalacauvery, and the tourist spots in and around Madikeri. It is the headquarters of the Coorg district. I will scribble more on that in my next post.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Nice Kishore... Keep going !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...