Monday, September 1, 2008

Dhaam Dhoom - Only once!


Amidst the continuous rain in Bangalore, I went and watched the matinee show of this movie on Saturday. This is cinematographer turned director Jeeva’s last movie. I liked his Ullam Ketkume and Unnale Unnale and that had driven me to watch this movie. If it was romance in his earlier movies, it is a action thriller in this movie. The movie is about how an Indian doctor on a visit to Russia for a conference, a week before his marriage, gets trapped in a murder case and how he escapes to prove his innocence in the murder case.

The movie is a mixture of romance and action. And it is not the conventional Tamil action movie where in the hero hits ten to twenty people. It is one of the occasional action sequels in Tamil cinema, in which the hero is being chased by the Russian police force and how he esacpes from them and solves the murder case. Probably director Jeeva would have been influenced by the “The Bourne Trilogy” series and wanted to treat the Tamil audience in a similar way. Certain chase sequences in this movie had similarities with the English flick. Even one of the back ground scores reminds the background score of the Bourne Series.

Nowadays, it has been a trend in movies to involve the current sequel and flashback sequel in a mixed fashion. In this movie, the Russian episode of the hero Jeyam Ravi is frequently intervened by his love memories with Kangna Ranaut in India. In the consequence, the love sequel misses all the logical essence.

Some of the things I personally liked in this movie is the murder plot in Russia, the characterisation of Jeyam Ravi and the chase sequels (usually he does a romance cast), the place Russia which is probably a rare destination for Tamil audience and needless to say, the cinematography. Be it the city of Moscow or the hotel room where the hero stayed or the lawyer’s residence or the village backdrop in India, it was definitely a visual treat. The lighting effect was so natural. This movie also speaks about the Russian nation and its challenges to deal the prevailing crime threats in their country.

The movie would have been better if any one of the sequels alone is told - Either the murder case in Russia or the love story in India and I prefer if only the action sequel is told. The script is so racy and I feel the sequels in India and a couple of songs were the unnecessary speed-brakers. At least in future can I expect a quality action-thriller Tamil movie which has no song interventions?

5 comments:

me said...

Hi Kishore, thanks for visiting my blog again! :) I must say that this a very well written review! The only Jeeva material movie I have watched is 'Ullam Ketkume' and I really liked it, but negative reviews on Unnale Unnale made me lose interest in Jeeva. After reading your review I definitely want to watch Dham Dhoom! :)

me said...

Hello Kishore, (in response to your comment)

the point is not that I didn't get what I wanted, the point is, I got back to what I thought I don't want or will not want! he he! :)

Unknown said...

hey.. ur review makes me wonder iof we both saw d same movie!!! me hubby,mom n a frnd went to see this flick (after Sivaji, this is d movie i went to the theatre to) But 4 the songs n few cute scenes in d village, the move was a total put off :( the opening plot in RUssia made us sit up.. but the action scenes -hero flying horizontally, escaping the Russian cops, by riding a cycle.. phew! mudiyala! n the cherry on top was when the villain was revealed.. i mean come on!! still getting massages from babes?? noo!!

Unknown said...

u are being quite generous cuz of ur sympathy 4 Jeeva i think ;)

but i agree with the cinimatography n plot.. cud hav been real gd if it had the basic logics.

Kishore said...

True Rat...In the lines of expectations after Unnale Unnale and Ullam Ketkume...I could nt come out of the Jeeva magik... :)

Btw..I could not visit your blog as it is denied permission ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...